This week the New York State Board for Historic Preservation recommended the addition of 26 properties, resources and districts to the State and National Registers of Historic Places. Joe Robach office noted that the nominations reflect the breadth of New York’s history, ranging from one of the last amusement park rides left at the 1964-65 New York World’s Fair in Queens, to the site of a 1943 school segregation fight in Rockland County.
State and National Register listing can assist property owners in revitalizing buildings, making them eligible for various public preservation programs and services, such as matching state grants and state and federal historic rehabilitation tax credits. Spurred by the state and federal historic rehabilitation commercial tax credits administered by the State Historic Preservation Office, Joe Robach office noted that developers invested $500 million statewide in 2014 to revitalize properties listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Homeowners using the state historic homeowner rehabilitation tax credit invested more than $9.8 million statewide on home improvements to help revitalize historic neighborhoods.
The State and National Registers are the official lists of buildings, structures, districts, landscapes, objects and sites significant in the history, architecture, archeology and culture of New York State and the nation. There are more than 120,000 historic buildings, structures and sites throughout the state listed on the National Register of Historic Places, individually or as components of historic districts. Property owners, municipalities and organizations from communities throughout the state sponsored the nominations.
Once the recommendations are approved by the state historic preservation officer, the properties are listed on the New York State Register of Historic Places and then nominated to the National Register of Historic Places, where they are reviewed and, once approved, entered on the National Register. More information and photos of the nominations is available on the Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation website. According to the office of Joe Robach some of the properties, surrounding the Rochester region, include:
East Hill Historic District, Springville – Beginning with the construction a Greek
Revival house at 154 East Main Street around 1835, the district’s residential architecture reflects nearly 100 years of the village’s growth.
Saints Peter and Paul Orthodox Church, Buffalo – Designed in 1932 in the Byzantine Revival style, the church was built after the Bolshevik Revolution swelled the number of immigrants fleeing Russia to practice their religion freely in the United States, precipitating the need for a larger worship space in Buffalo.
American Radiator Company Factory Complex, Buffalo – Developed between 1891 and 1939, the manufacturing and research facility led the way in advancing steam-heating technology as part of a movement towards better health and safe, more cost-effective alternatives to coal.
Park-State Historic District, Brockport – the district reflects the architectural and social development of the village from 1820-1930, starting in the era when Brockport was a growing village, home to thriving industrial and commercial enterprises, encompassing the railroad era, and finally the village’s shift in orientation from commerce and industry to education.
Chili-West Historic District, Rochester – Creation of the intact residential district was sparked by a series of building booms, and by 1935 it was fully built out and had attained the characteristics of an outlying urban neighborhood accessible by street car and automobile.
Sibley 19th Ward Historic District, Rochester – The significance of the Sibley
Historic District is largely due to its extant historic housing stock of homes in the Colonial Revival, American Foursquare, Craftsman and Tudor Revival styles, making the area a virtual snapshot of the development of the city’s Nineteenth Ward in the early 20th century.
St. Francis De Sales Church Complex, Geneva – The complex includes four historic buildings, beginning with its church, dated to 1864, and including the 1868 rectory, 1874 school (expanded 1909) and 1874 convent and reflects the rapid and extensive growth of the Roman Catholic community in Geneva.
Holley Village Historic District, Holley – The district’s 37 properties make up the commercial and institutional core of the village as it developed from 1822 to 1931; it was built along a distinctive street plan that was oriented to the Erie Canal’s irregular alignment as it spanned Sandy Creek.
Barna C. Roup House, Perry – Built in 1898, the Queen Anne-style house was constructed during the village’s period of major growth and was owned by Barna C. Roup, a notable local attorney.