Joe Robach announced today that Federal and State Tax return forms will be available for pick up at his district office at 2300 West Ridge Road in Greece by early February. This is a popular service that Joe Robach has been offered to local residents for the last few years.
Joe Robach explains that his office staff will be available to answer any general questions relating to the filing and processing of tax returns. Specific questions relating to individuals tax return filings, however, should be directed to a licensed tax professional.
Furthermore, Joe Robach reminds residents that many of the general tax return forms are available online if driving to his West Ridge Road office is not convenient to them. The State and Federal governments also strongly encourage resident to e-filing their state and federal tax returns for faster processing. For example, for e-filed returns, New York State will issue most refunds within thirty days. If you filed a paper return, however, it will take four or more weeks longer than an e-filed return.
Joe Robach offers these tips to facilitate the preparation:
– Begin to gather your tax information.
– Employers need to send their employees their W-2 forms and 1099 forms by January 31. Investment firms start sending out their form 1099s around this time also. Put these documents in a folder to send to your accountant to use for your own filing purposes.
– Look through these documents carefully to be sure that income and withholding amounts look correct. Look through your investment statements to see that you have cost basis for any sales made during the year. If the cost basis is missing, start to gather that information now.
– Your mortgage company will send a form 1098 listing the interest expense paid and the principal balance at the end of the year. This is typically the largest deduction for an individual taxpayer.
– Begin the tax return filing process now. Whether you start gathering or organizing documents now, begin the filing process online or schedule a meeting with your accountant – do it now. In February, your accountant will have more availability than in March and April and can meet with you to discuss your tax return, to plan for the current tax year, and to review any changes or significant transactions.
Joe Robach also has other helpful tax return information available at his office as well. For example, for those who qualify, AARP is available by appointment to a help seniors with tax preparation at the Greece Town Hall Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from 1-3pm. Residents may call 585.723.2292 to schedule an appointment.
Additional contact information for 2014 tax return filing include:
1(800)829-1040 General Help
1(800)829-3676 Forms and Publications
Local office: 255 East Avenue, Rochester, NY 14604
New York State:
(518)457-5181 General Help
(518)457-5431 Forms and Publications
No local office
The tax filing deadline of March 15 for corporations and April 15 for individuals, partnerships and trusts is fast approaching